The Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) is a monthly payment you can get if:
- you are 65 or older
- you live in Canada
- you get the Old Age Security (OAS) pension
- your income is below $19,464 if you are single, widowed, or divorced
- your income plus the income of your spouse/common-law partner is below:
- $25,728 if your spouse/common-law partner receives the full OAS pension
- $46,656 if your spouse/common-law partner does not receive an OAS pension
- $46,656 if your spouse/common-law partner receives the Allowance
The Supplement is based on income and is available to low-income Old Age Security pensioners. It is not taxable.
In many cases, we will let you know by letter when you could start receiving the first payment. We will send you this letter the month after you turn 64. In other cases, you may have to apply.